Ways to Save This Summer
June 25, 2021
Summer is right around the corner here on the South Shore! Nothing beats a day at the beach or a summer hike at your favorite park. After the long, cold, and snowy winters, we all look forward to spring and summer. When the hot seasons roll around, you’re probably also thinking about ways you can save on your home energy bills. Well, you can open your windows, throw on a short-sleeved t-shirt, and get ready for summer with these home energy-saving tips from Bridgewater Fuel.
- Schedule your annual A/C tune-up. If you want to bring your energy bills down, get your annual tune-up. A tune-up performed by an experienced Bridgewater Fuel technician will help your system run at maximum efficiency, improve your indoor air quality, and reduce your risk of a mid-season breakdown. Most importantly, a tune-up will keep your home cool with less energy.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Switching from a manual to a programmable thermostat will help you save on your energy bills. Programmable thermostats are easy and convenient. All you need to do to conserve energy is set the indoor temperature higher when you’re not home or when it cools down at night.
- Use a ceiling fan. Using a ceiling fan along with your air conditioner lets you raise your thermostat’s setting by 4°F without reducing your comfort. Just don’t forget to turn off your fan when you leave the room.
- Turn on your bathroom fans. Turn on your bathroom fans when you shower. This will draw out heat and humidity, keeping your home from heating up.
- Grill or cook outdoors. If you don’t want to make your air conditioner work harder than necessary, avoid using your kitchen oven. Instead, opt to cook your family dinners outside on a propane grill to keep the heat out of your home.
- Decorate with window treatments. Not only do window treatments look good, but keeping curtains, blinds, and shutters open on sunny days lets natural sunlight instead of electricity brighten your home. On hot days, close and show off your window treatments to block heat radiating from the sun. This will keep rooms at a cooler temperature and keep your A/C running less often.
For more energy-saving tips and to schedule your annual tune-up, contact the professionals at Bridgewater Fuel. We’d love to talk to you.